Episode 18 – EARTH
DAY WEEK SPECIAL!
On today’s Earth Day (Earth Week?) Special, Erik invites podcasters from around the world to share some of the environmental issues that they’re most passionate about and what we can learn from them!
Featured in this episode: Devin Clark (Pretend Radio), Kory Torjussen (KTorjussen Photography), Chris Carroll (Comic Zombie), Pete Bourgelais (Maine House candidate), Tyler Thornton (Too Young For This Trek), Josh Dunham, Troytle Power (from the Power Playthroughs Podcast), Justin Ache (Significant Otter Co), and MC (The Best Animated Shows Ever… So Far!)
Music: “Return to Innocence” by Enigma (1994)
Audio Clips: “Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring” (2001), “Fern Gully” (1992), and “Captain Planet” (1990)
– Devin Clark (from the Pretend Radio podcast) talks about the 2010 Gulf Oil Spill
– Photographer (and Kaiju enthusiast), Kory Torjussen explains Japan’s Fukushima disaster
– Chris Carroll (Comic Zombie) rants about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch
– Maine House (District 112) candidate, Pete Bourgelais, talks about the Aral Sea (or what’s left of it?)
– Tyler Thornton (host of Too Young For This Trek) presents Spay the Cats, Save the World!
– Josh Dunham covers America’s (absurd) nuclear waste problem
– Erik gives his take on the Love Canal
– Troytle Power (from the Power Playthroughs Podcast) asks why don’t we all just
replace gas with french fry grease?!
– Justin Ache (of Significant Otter Co) tackles deforestation in the Amazon Rainforest
– MC (from the Best Animated Shows Ever… So Far!) offers his personal experience
from 2019’s devastating Australian wild fires…
Social Media Links:
- Devin Clark: @Pretend Radio
- Kory Torjussen: @KTorjussenPhotography
- Chris Carroll: @ComicZombie2
- Pete Bourgelais: @Pete4MEHouse
- Tyler Thornton: @JaxCatCult
- Troy: @TroytlePower
- Justin Ache: @JustinAche
- MC: @alsoknownasMC
- Erik Slader: @ErikSlader
LINKS / Sources / Further Reading:
13 Charities to Consider Giving on Earth Day
The Deepwater Horizon Disaster Fueled a Gulf Science Bonanza (Wired)
The Amazon Rainforest sees biggest spike in deforestation in over a decade (NPR)
Fry Fuel: Mc Donalds Franchisee Runs Cars On It! (NBC News)
Australia Fires: A Visual Guide (BBC)
What Is the Yucca Mountain Depository? (EPA)
Why Is the World’s Biggest Landfill in the Pacific Ocean? (HowStuffWorks.com)
Fukushima is Bad, but Testing Was Worse (ploughshares.org)
7 Steps of TNR (NeighborhoodCats.org)
Uzbekistan to get it’s own Las Vegas (Eurasianet.org)
Kazakhstan measuring the Northern Aral’s Comeback (Eurasianet.org)
Soviet Cotton threatens a region’s sea and it’s children (New Scientist)
North Korea slams Trump’s Decision to pull out of Paris Accord (Washington Post)
*Also check out the original Epik Fails article, 13 of the Worst Ecological Disasters of All Time!
Follow / Message Us on Social Media:
Twitter: @ErikSlader @EpikFailsdotcom
Instagram: @ErikSlader @EpikFailsofHistory
This podcast is a production of the We Can Make This Work (Probably) Network follow us below to keep up with this show and discover our many other podcasts! ProbablyWork.com, it’s the place for those with questionable taste!